I found this picture on Elizabeth's blog today.
This goes really well with what has been on my mind lately. I tried to lose some weight. Not much, only getting to my dream weight. I actually got rather close to it but then started eating more than normally without working out. Well, guess what? Gained it all back.
A few weeks ago I watched a documentary on diets and eating behaviors. One doctor introduced a theorie that our weight is already pre-set in our genetics. I tend to like this. I have never been the skinny type. Not fat but not really skinny either. That has never changed. I like to believe that I have a rather normal diet. I sometimes like to eat candy. But I also love salads. Considering that I am a vegetarian, I probably eat a lot more healthy vegetables than most other people.
I am sick of forcing myself to not eat the chocolates or chips on the table just because they have too many calories. I am sick of making myself feel uncomfortable because I do not look like the girls in movies or on advertisements. I am sick of not loving myself for who I am because of
So I decided I do not want any rules about eating anymore. A friend once wrote that she eats her food bland so that food stops being a reward or joy. I do not agree with this. I think food is joy. It makes you happy, keeps you healthy (of course everything in certain amounts) and brings you and others together. I like to enjoy my food. It actually has become a passion. I therefore abandoned all the rules I have developed in my mind about food and eating. I will only keep these two:
1. Eat what you like, do not eat what you do not like and when you like or not like.
2. Only eat when you are actually hungry until you are actually satisfied and not overly full. Occasional snacks are allowed but in the right amounts.
I realize these rules can be streched. But that is the point. I want to enjoy eating food when I want to and not when or what my diet plan tells me.
So all of you out there struggling with food, weight and looks, starting enjoying your life. Food is part of it and it is also supposed to be a happy thing to do. So also start enjoying food.
Love, Eileen
PS: I ran over this sermon the other day and really liked it. I thought I'd share it. :)
