A couple weeks ago Gary posted something very wise on
facebook. Sounds like an oxymoron haha :D but Gary simply is a very wise
person in my opinion. Anyway, what he wrote made me think. It was about
that everyone had a purpose in life and when we feel like nothing works
out, we should remember that we are here for a reason. I am one of
these graduates who does not know what to do after high school. I know I
want to take a year off to volunteer, look and colleges and apply. I
want time for myself to figure out what I want my life to be about. I
want to try new things, experience new things and at the same time
experience old things and remember old plans and dreams and maybe
accomplish and fulfill them. Right now I really do not know where I am
at in life. I do not have a hobby, I am not very athletic, creative and I
cannot play an instrument. Lets not even talk about singing.
So what am I good at? The first thing that comes to my mind is baking. I love baking. I also
start to like cooking more and more. Julie Powell said in the movie Julie and Julia
"You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when
nothing is sure, and when I mean nothing, I mean nothing, you can come
home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and
sugar and milk, it will get thick."
That is how I feel about it,
too. It is comforting when I am sad, exciting, when I am happy and a
very good thing to do when you are mad. Trust me.
What else am I good at? The second thing that comes to my mind is photography. I am not that great at it but I like my pictures and I think that is the most important part about it. I like taking pictures, capturing something beautiful that looks even more beautiful through the lense. I hope I can treat myself to a good camera and go on photo adventures.
The sad thing is that I cannot think of anything else I am good at. Without hobbies life is boring. But then I think, but you are not good at music and not good at sports and not good at _____. (fill in the blank)
Now stop here for a second. This sounds completely wrong. There is a little word missing in this passage. It took me until today to realize what this word is. Yep, it is that tiny little word yet. So tiny that I kept overlooking it. Who the heck said I could not learn to play an instrument? Who said I was not athletic enough? Oh! Yeah.. That would be me!
Today I was listening, am listening, to Ben Howard. I love his songs and everytime I listen to him I wish I could play the guitar as he can. And why should I not be able to try and learn how to play the guitar? My best friend started playing a couple years ago. She was as good at music as I am. But she liked the sound of a guitar, got herself one and asked her dad to teach her. She does not have the patience to really learn it but she is happy with it and is getting better and better. She plays great in my opinion.
This life is not supposed to be about what you cannot do and what you are not good at. In this life we are supposed to try new things, sometimes fail, but always having fun doing it. So here is my graduation resolution: To try new things. Try to play the guitar, go running and try to become fit. I want to plant veggies in our new yard in the States and I want to cook. I want to get better at photography and learn how to use photoshop. All this studying for school blocks our view on all the other things we can learn that are so much more fun than school.
So find something that you are interested in, try it, learn it and from it, have fun doing it. This life is not ment to be boring. It is ment to be exciting and I want to lead an exciting, rich, happy and beautiful life.
That was a long epiphany. Haha :D Enough with the procrastination. Back to the studying.
Love,
Eileen