.

.

Aug 30, 2010

first day - a success I think :)

I think I really don't have to be worried that much about school. Except that I have to study a lot but who doesn't have to do that?? The problem is that I had a really lazy year because I had easy classes and you can't compare the tests and exams in the US with ours... Ours are way harder. So I didn't really have to study at all for my exams and tests in the US and now I have to sit down and study and  I don't really like studying (but who likes it??)

Anyways.... My schedule is pretty good. I can take Latin instead of Spanish which is way easier for me since my Spanish class is so much ahead of me that I couldn't catch up with them and I was going to take Latin anyways so everything worked out. :)

In Germany we don't have one school for all kids but different levels. I go to the "Gymnasium" (funny huh?! :D). That's the best level. After 10th grade you have a degree with which you can go to Trade School (or whatever that's called) and learn a job and work. But you can also do three more years to get a higher degree with which you can go to university but you can only do these three "extra" years at the Gymnasium. You have to have a certain average to be able to come from a lower level school (there are 4 different levels of schools here), to do these 3 years but it's possible. So to get to the point: there are like 50 new students at my school. All my "old" classmates already know them but I don't really because I wasn't there last year.
That was another point I was really worried about but after today I know that those kids are sooooooo nice!!! I get along with them so well! Actually better than with my "old" classmates. We are all devided up into groups or cliques and there were arguments and fights in the past and you just didn't get a long so there is a lot of prejudice. But with the new kids it's different. Everyone is kind of grown up and you don't have a real "history" or "past" together. I guess that's why you can get along a lot better.

It was so nice today because when I was waiting in line to talk to my teacher about my schedule Me and a few girls and guys just started talking although we actually didn't even know each other! It reminded me so much of the Americans cause you could start a conversation with them and they'll always say HI to you in the hallways and talk to you like you've always been there. Making real good friends WAS hard but it was good that everyone was so open minded! And that's what I experienced today. So I kinda feel at home :)

So I think I'd better go to bed and read a little because I have to get up early tomorrow for my first real day of school. First two periods are English!! YAY! :)

Have a Good Day and a Good Night!! :)
Eileen